View Single Post
      02-28-2017, 12:01 PM   #1
fmtriple
Rep
Drives: m235i

New X1 - Mod Advice

I’m the proud owner of a CPO X1 and I would like to research a few modifications I plan on making in the near future. I searched the forum on some of these items, but some of the coversations happened more than a year ago so I would like the most up-to-date information.

2013 X1 xDrive35i (Sport line)
35k miles (no longer under factory warranty, CPO until late 2018)
I live near Ann Arbor, Michigan

N55 Tuning

I’m researching the Dinan stage 2 and JB4 stage 1/2 tunes. It’s nice to see the Dinan tune discounted, but the warranty benefit will not apply to my vehicle since it is out of the factory warranty (Dinan does not cover the CPO warranty). I’m leaning towards the JB4 since it’s cheaper and I can install it myself, but if the Dinan is worth the extra cash I would consider that as well.

Coding/Alpina Flash

So far, I’ve found the six speed automatic to be a good transmission (I’ve experienced the ZF8 in the M235i). Shifts are smooth around town, but I do find it sluggish when around full throttle, even in sport mode. I’ve heard great things about the Alpina flash, so I would like to hear the reviews of those that have run it for a while. Can this be a DIY job (see below)?

I’d also like to code a few things on the X1. The two common methods I’ve read are the ODB cable/laptop program method and the Carly phone app/ODB bluetooth dongle method. I work in IT, so I would be comfortable coding myself, but if there is a shop/person in the SE Michigan area that can take care of these I’d be happy to give them a call. If I decide to code it myself, what ODB cable and program should I use, or is the Carly app the preferred method? Here are the two sites I’ve used as a reference:

http://codinge90.com/getting-started/
http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/

Sound System Upgrade

I have the Hifi sound in the X1, and I’d like to upgrade the system. I’ve looked at the Bavsound and Focal plug-and-play kits so far. Which one should I purchase?

Other items

- Are there any TSBs I should be aware of? Carfax didn’t report the airbag recall on my vehicle, so am I in the clear?
- The doors close with a cheaper, hollow sound. I’ve read that changing the seals improves the feel and sound. Is that something I can take care of under warranty?
- Preventative maintenance items - Are there known areas I should address to prevent larger issues in the future?
- Any recommended mods I should look into that I didn’t cover here?

Thanks for any feedback and guidance.

Last edited by fmtriple; 02-28-2017 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0