View Single Post
      12-17-2015, 04:16 AM   #14
Gadget22
Registered
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Hi. This is my first post.

I was interested to read about replacing tyres on the X1.
My past two cars have been 3 series so when it came to winter I swapped my summer tyres over for winter tyres. This time I thought rather than swap over the wheels I would look at all season tyres. My mate owns a Tyre outlet so I always go there for tyres. When I said about replacing the tyres with all seasons he asked if the car had X drive. Slightly puzzled I asked him why?
He went on to tell me that one of his friends who owns a transmission repair company in a local city had advised him that most of the problems they have came across with BMW Xdrive vehicles were down to wrong tyre choice. Seemingly the system is sensitive to wrong size tyres/wheels being fitted and he recommended sticking to BMW approved tyres/wheels.
My first thought was this was just a sales plot to get more expensive tyres but my friend has always seen me right in the past and wouldn't try to do me.
This is a bit of a bummer as it looks like I am going to have to stick to BMW approved winter tyres and summer tyres which cuts down the choice a good bit.
My friend did say he would fit any tyres I wanted but if it all went pear shaped transmission wise I had be warned and on my head be it!
Appreciate 0