02-20-2014, 03:52 AM   #63
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer View Post
2014 X1 28I X-line fully loaded:

*very low gas mileage, proper tire inflation, 60 city-40 highway, non aggressive driver, dealer claims car is working properly after being checked for the low mileage and I'm getting 20.2 MPG's

*many rattles from the dash, and door areas as well as a clunking sound from the rear cargo area without anything in the cargo area. The dealer has my X1 now because a very loud clanking noise started 4 weeks ago from the drivers side dash area.

*extremely rough ride. Any tiny road imperfection resonates throughout the vehicle translating into a bumpy hard ride. I have a 320 X loaner now and it is like riding on air compared to my X1.

*the leather seats are uncomfortably hard. The non-leather seats in the loaners I've had are much more comfortable. Also the length of the seat itself is noticeably short causing pressure on the underside of the thighs (no support)

*the 320 X I'm driving as a loaner seems to be much more nimble to drive and feels much more like a sports car. 2 things that are noticeably better in the 320 X is the braking, it is smooth and effortless compared to the X1 and when pressing on the accelerator in the 320 X it feels soft and so much more responsive then the X!.

*I know many people talk about how great the non-power assist steering is in the X1 but personally I think the power assist in the 302 X is superior. When on the highway they are almost exactly the same but when you are driving in the streets, parking lots, making turns etc. the 320 X trumps the X1. I'm not talking about the effort involved but rather the true steering feel of the 320X rather than the over steer feeling of the X1 at low turning speeds. Even when changing lanes the X1 feels labored while the 320 X just steps right over the next lane with the smallest maneuver of the steering wheel.

PS: there is no one at BMW that will listen to any of my concerns, they basically stated in different words "sorry, we don't give a hoot and there is nothing we can or will do"

I am waiting to pick up my X1 from the dealer to see if they have resolved the many rattling noises which I do not believe they will. At that point It will be time to sit in front of the dealership with the car and give perspective BMW buyers a test drive in a rattle box since BMW wil not help mw with a brand new 45K car that rattles.
I have a similar commute and so far at 3000 miles get an average of 24.7 mpg. On open freeway trip I think 28 mpg is possible. So mileage is not terrible but the advertised numbers are probably 2-3 mpg optimistic.

I agree about rattles and interior quality. Please go to BMW USA website and configure a 328 xDrive to your X1 configuration. It will be 6-7k more than your X1 (I did this and came up with $50,375 vs $42,650). That's the culprit behind the rattles and noisy interior. The interior is made out of harder plastics and with less insulation to save money and drop weight.

Everybody bashing F30 cars for being soft and uncommunicative. X1 maintains some of the stiff and sporty character of E90. If you compare X1 to E90 it is much softer. Bottom line 1 and older 3 series BMWs don't ride like luxury cars, they are more sporty and stiffer than normal cars. A lot of people actually like this.

Also it is not fair to directly compare Handling and breaking of X1 to 3 series, X1 has much higher center of gravity and even BMW engineers cannot change laws of physics.

Last edited by MazdaFan; 02-20-2014 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0