06-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #95
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Grovsnus, I'm really just typing to see the letters, not to argue with you. I don't think we're saying different things, just pointing out that the X1 is reasonably efficient for a relatively heavy and suitably powered car/suv.

Speed will unquestionably lower your efficiency, but I hold that it's a much smaller impact in a typical German car than it is in something like an F250 pickup or a sedan geared to only do 110 mph.
I agree completely - I find the X1 to be very fuel efficient for its class - a performance crossover. The drag isn't bad at all for being taller, but it still costs some gas to keep a higher speed. I'm not sure about the N20, but the N55 seems to be most efficient when kept under 65 mph. But I don't worry much - it's still pretty efficient even when I step on it. Personally, I think the Valvetronic has something to do with the N55 being more efficient than the N54.

Speaking of the Mountaineer, I have one of the last 302cc V8 Mountaineers in my driveway, and it certainly does have a horrific profile. But it also has a lot of torque, and high momentum, so the drag isn't very noticeable. Well, a drop from 15 mpg to 14 mpg at speed, but who's counting
It's such a good workhorse that I just couldn't get rid of it.
Appreciate 0