View Single Post
      07-12-2011, 05:53 AM   #15
barbel
France
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 2.0d, auto

Mario486, tks for such a detailed response on the tyres. Just to clarify: is there is major downside to using M&S above 7C? I was thinking that I could switch to M&S for 3 winter months, but I guess the roads away from the mountains will often be above 7C. Does that mean that I will pay just the penalty just a bit more tyre wear, or is is more complicated than that?

On a separate point, choice of model and gearbox... I'm now honing in on the 20d or 23d. I see you have 20d and chose (and like) the auto box. This wouldn't have been my immediate thought, so I'm very interested in your experience. My earlier BMWs were both (different 5-series) autos, and I really liked them. But over the last 5 years or so I've been driving a (non BMW) manual, and got back to liking that too. For urban/country driving, I think I'd like an auto. But how is it in the snow? Sorry for my ignorance of the current BMW autobox and how it works, but does it have a useful manual overide? And if so, how did you use it in your exploits in the snow and mud of Scotland?

Final question, my son (who has a 120d) warned me that the service costs can be high on the diesel due to the shorter service interval compared with the petrol. Is this true?

Last edited by barbel; 07-12-2011 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: finger trouble, b
Appreciate 0