View Single Post
      08-11-2015, 09:10 PM   #20
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
But what do I know, I only have hundreds of hours of seat time in the X1 on the road course tuning suspensions, and 59,000 miles on the street. How many do you have in the vehicle on track?
Once again, you have no experience with the setup we're talking about.

PCA instructor for 10 years.

I love how you think 10 track events in instructed groups makes you some kind of suspension expert.

You're a novice track guy, get over yourself.

Quote:
Springs have nothing to do with dampening. A spring cannot be "underdamped.".
?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping

The spring is oscillating too much. It's motion is not dampened enough. Are you playing semantics with that statement?

Quote:
It makes more sense to cut the bump stops than it does to switch to stiffer dampers. I would try this first. Stiffer dampers will make your ride WORSE without a stiffer spring.
Are you reading some other thread?

I said the car was underdamped. To take care of the oscillations, it needs more dampening.

That's a separate issue than the bottoming out, which I made quite clear. Seriously, have you not been reading my posts?

What I said was, the added compression dampening may help the rare bottoming out issue. That is 100% a realistic possibility that can only be determined by actually trying it. Which you haven't. You have absolutely ZERO idea how much extra travel is needed (or needs to be negated) to cure the problem. Zero.

Your experience with your JRZs isn't even remotely close to proof-positive of anything. The fact that you could make such a statement with a straight face is laughable.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)

Last edited by PrematureApex; 08-11-2015 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0