View Single Post
      10-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #17
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

As mentioned, it really is important for you to test both powertrains. Do not make the mistake of assuming the 35i is the better vehicle until you fully assess it against your personal wants/needs. You might actually prefer the 2.0T, and the lower cost and better fuel economy could be an added benefit.

There is no question the six is faster. But if you read the reviews, it has been noted on multiple occasions that the extra power is virtually unusable most of the time in this type of vehicle. Also of note is that with less weight over the front wheels, the four cylinder is better balanced and handles better. And then there is the transmission ... some prefer the feel of the 6-speed, but I think it's fair to say that most prefer the 2.0T's 8-speed.

I have driven both engines in the 3-Series, and if they were paired with the same transmission in the X1 I would have been more inclined to pony up for the turbo six. That said, I have not driven the X1 with the six because on paper I felt the 28i was a better overall package for me (I ordered before the release). My wife and I chose the 2.0T over the V6 in our Q5 not because it was cheaper or more efficient, but because we both thought it was superior to the V6 in most ways that matter to us.

Keep us posted on your decision. Good luck!
Appreciate 0