View Single Post
      12-31-2010, 10:41 AM   #20
Artemiy
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
No you were. But you are comparing a specific model to another one, in specific circumstances (off-road, and most likely mud & trail), which in my view cannot be drawn conclusively as the X1 being altogether better than the Q5 (and I'm an X1 owner ).
Besides, the X1 is not an SUV, and statisticly most Q5s and X1s owners never get into "heavy off-roading" anyway (otherwise they'd go for a Defender or a Pathfinder for instance).
In most other, usual environments, a DSG is likely to be more precise, quick and pleasant to handle than a traditional automatic gearbox.

That's why in my humble opinion, drawing such drastic conclusions is a bit stretching it.
With all due respect, I think you're stretching my conclusion yourself :-)

I was replying *specifically* to a sentence by mario486 where he said that Q5's off road ability is pretty much the same as X1. In this specific situation, a normal automatic is better. Plus, I have heard reviewers noting that X1's automatic works more smooth and without jerks compared to Q5's DSG. BTW even Porsche engineers said that for off road use PDK is worse than normal automatic (same overheating issue), which is why Cayenne has one and Panamera doesn't.

The bottom line is: objectively, X1's automatic is better suited for off road use than DSG.

BTW I am NOT comparing X1 and Q5 as such. Only their drivetrain technology.
Appreciate 0