View Single Post
      08-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Putting HID capsules in standard housings should win you a ten minute beating with a pickhandle. You won't have hi/lo beams, but you'll have wonderfully bright but hugely unfocused light that will piss off everyone that you meet.

A much better solution are upgraded halogen bulbs, and I have a question. Are the OEM lights wired thru' relays, or is the voltage routed thru' the steering column switchgear? If it's the latter, there is a significant voltage drop and higher output bulbs won't make much difference.
I have E-code 7" rounds in my ancient Wrangler Jeep; I also have 100w bulbs and have them wired thru' relays; I simply used the original voltage to trigger relays installed under the hood. This has given me lights nearly as good as the HIDs; I've set them carefully and conservatively, and don't get 'winked' by opposing traffic, but I can see really well.
What is the story on the OEM wiring? If it's thru' relays, just changing out the bulbs should make a big difference; if not, the relay route isn't that difficult.
Moon
Appreciate 0