Thread: x1 snow chains
View Single Post
      03-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #10
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Okay, a lot of that confirms what I suspected in terms of outdated regs.
punch', thanks for the specifics; they are making a distinction about the number of driven axles. Wonder how they classify all season tires? I'd love to have a discussion involving my Rubicon Jeep with big cobby tires and locking axles (which work on high range in mine); if it ain't getting thru', ain't nothing getting thru'.
Tirpitz, I haven't had a vehicle that wasn't AWD/4WD or had the engine over the driven wheels since J. Edgar Opel in 1971, and that thing could get stuck on 9 snowflakes, even with winters on the driven axle. I recall those days with trepidation; you were fortunate to have extra weight over the driven wheels in your pickup. My bride, before she was my bride, had a RWD Ford that was utterly hopeless; I introduced her to an AWD VW Passat, and there's no going back.
Back to my other question; I recall seeing some sort of plastic chains that might well meet the letter of the law, cost less than $150, and should have less potential for vehicle damage if things go awry. Michelin and others make them, and they might solve the OP's problem, especially if he never has to use them.
Moon
Appreciate 0