View Single Post
      02-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #86
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by riM3 View Post
paradoxical3 - I'm a big X1 fan. In fact, my mother in law just purchased a xDrive28i in mineral gray with a coral red interior... it's rather good looking and I agree, incredibly practical (handles well, quick, lots of utility, etc.). That said, I have a couple questions (as a former N55 owner) about some of the statements you've made... really, just out of curiosity.

For context, this thread was cross posted in the M3 forum (where I've been spending a lot of my time).

On an N55, you can go Stage 2, map 1 for $400 and maybe make 325rwhp (very briefly, at <5k RPM)... With a downpipe, stage 2, ISO, flex fuel wires, a charge pipe and an exhaust... you're maybe putting down 375rwhp... all of which costs you well over $2k and pushes your car to its operating limit (and perhaps, in the long run, past it). Of course, I haven't been that close to this scene...what am I missing?

Either way - both are great cars. In fact, I'd love to have both in my garage. When my '09 X3 bites the dust, the X1 is going to get serious look.
You're missing e85. With downpipe it has more horsepower than a stock M3, and even without downpipe it puts down essentially equivalent rwhp with a M3 (you lose about 20hp). On map 5 (e85 autoadjust map) it puts down 389rwhp and 479lbft torque. Just a tune and chargepipe will run you about $500-600 (JB4 can be had new at discount). A lot of these developments are recent so I understand if a lot of M3 owners aren't aware of them; most gains were realized in the last couple of months with the advent of the ISO firmware (isolated boost control) for the JB4.

Here's one for a stock M3:

Again, I'm absolutely not saying the X1 is a better car than the M3. M3 is faster around the track, has a nicer interior, is probably more reliable stock, etc, etc, etc. All I'm trying to say is that a lightly modded X1 is more than competitive in a straight line (and only in a straight line) with a STOCK M3. The dyno's speak for themselves.

I get that it's cute to cross post the thread and have a self-congratulatory circle jerk that your M3 is a better car than an entry level X1 that costs HALF as much, but what you're not getting is that never once did I try to compare the X1 with any aspect of the clearly superior M3 other than straight line performance.

But hey, if this is cross posted at the M3 forum, I'll call you out. If there is a stock M3 that is willing to race me at Edgewater Raceway in Cincinnati, I'll buy you dinner whether I win or lose and we'll videotape it and have a good time.

Any takers?

Last edited by paradoxical3; 02-28-2013 at 11:24 PM..
Appreciate 0