View Single Post
      01-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
conceyted
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

I was very concerned when I first read reports about bad fuel economy compared to the EPA numbers. However, I have to say that my findings are MUCH different. I have a sDrive28i and have only 880 miles on it. On the highway, I do not have any problem getting over 30mpg.

The last trip I made on the highway I reset my computer as I was getting onto the highway. At the end of the 40 minute trip across the long highway with both Eco Pro and cruise control set @ 75 MPH and some slowing and speeding up to get around cars, I was able to manage 39 mpg. After that trip I did about 20 minutes of city driving and parked the car 3 times and then did the same highway drive over again to get back home. When I got home my computer read 29 mpg for the entire trip.

I live in New Orleans and the super bowl is in town, so traffic has been terrible. My commute to work every morning has doubled to 45 minutes and the majority of this is parking lot style stop and go traffic. The X1 without auto start stop enabled, like any car, will guzzle gas and drastically hurt your mpg numbers. However, because of auto start stop I am still able to maintain a combined mpg of around 25 with about 70% city and 30% of that being highway miles.

What I have noticed, however, is that if you drive around with the gas pedal to the floor, or even 2/3 to the floor, you will consume a lot of fuel. These cars seem to be very efficient and in the right situations and with the right driving style I can very closely achieve the EPA estimates. I do believe they are slightly over estimated, but I think 22/30 might be what we are looking at real world, at least according to my car, so far.

They say breaking in the car should turn out better mileage, and my wife's E90 did just that, so chances are I might be able to achieve the 24/34 numbers BMW set once I am broken in.

Oh, and one last thing. I disagree with those of you who say Eco Pro is useless. If you can bare with using Eco Pro mode, you should see better fuel economy. I know I do. It doesn't make the car fun to drive by any means, but it does what it should in my car.

All of the above was done while using Shell Premium 93 Octane (contains 10% ethanol) gasoline.
Appreciate 0