12-20-2010, 10:57 AM   #15
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
I don’t see how anyone could say that it’s illegal to install standard tires on a car that came with RFTs. If the wheels can accommodate conventional tires just as well as any rim can, then how could it possibly be dangerous? Is there is a law against driving without a spare tire? However, there are plenty of laws that make no sense.

Other things being equal, I dislike RFTs so much that I would buy a car that comes with convention tires over one that only comes with RFTs. If Audi for example offered a car that I liked as much as the X1, I’d probably buy that for the lack of RFTs alone. However, since they don’t, I’ll buy an X1 and switch to standard tires. IMHO BMW made a serious mistake by deciding to offer their cars with one tire option only. They need to admit their mistake and either make RFTs optional or do away with them altogether. If buyers have a choice, the whole debate vanishes. What’s wrong with giving customers a choice with tires? Since M cars do not come with RFTs or a spare, there is obviously no law requiring a spare.
Hi Johnny,
Nobody said it was illegal.

What was said :

_ If leased, the lease company will require the same type of tires on the car as when it was sold new, and will charge you for a new set of R/F if it is not so equipped.

_ Most DOT / MOT / TUV inspections will require that the vehicle when presented to inspection is equipped with tires approved by the manufacturer on the given model. In a country where X1s are sold with R/F only... You know what I'm driving at.

_ BMW IS reconsidering selling cars with R/F as standard.

But I agree 100% with the rest of your analysis. After an unpleasant experience with a leased Mini Clubman and R/Fs, I unhesitantly ordered the X1 with standard rubbers.