View Single Post
      06-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

H&R Spring install - sometime things don't go your way!

so I started the spring install on my 35i M-sport this morning. Figured it would take 3-5 hours. Did the fronts first and then the back. Backs were cake. Front, not so much. First I tried taking the strut assembly out as a whole without compressing. I got nowhere with that as it just would not release at the base even after loosening the bolt and trying to spread the slot with a screwdriver. So I turn to the spring compression method and then tilting the strut outward. I guess I tilted it a little too much because for some reason, I could not tilt it back. I look at the inner CV boot and it is bulging. I have worked on Japanese makes until now and never had I had the joint come all the way out by turning out the knuckle! I jiggle it a little and manage to get it in.

After the install was done, I go for a test drive. I immediately know something is wrong as I can feel vibration as I'm backing out and then later, with acceleration. I know I must have fubar'd the CV joint.

I go back to the garage, once again turning the strut out--although this time manage to get it out without compressing it. I remove the inner CV boot clamp. Lo and behold, floating in the grease is one of the three bearings!!! Luckily, I hammer it back on and add a little grease and then use a universal boot clamp on it. Test drive later was grand. H&R is everything I had hoped for. Looks good, rides excellent and handles well.

So for those diy'ers out there, watch out for your CV joints!!! While I"m at it, whats the deal with the rear sway bar end links. On one side is the nut, on the other is a round smooth surface that is hard to clamp. Eventually I saw that the threaded end has a torx on the end but it's hard to access--not enough room!

Already I hate working on BMWs...
Appreciate 0