View Single Post
      07-18-2015, 08:14 PM   #16
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
I don't. The X1 35i Msport was discontinued, you can't buy it anymore. I bought it because it was the best driver's car in the segment, and because it was the last BMW made with hydraulic steering and the chassis of the e9x. Period. A look at my build thread should be all you need to answer that question.

The auto magazines loved the handling and power of the car. From car and driver:

It's very simple, and those who disagree just don't get it. What makes a BMW a BMW? What do phrases like "drives like a BMW" and "typical BMW feel" mean? The entire DNA of the brand is driving feel and performance. Take that away, and there is nothing left that competitors don't do better.

If you don't care about driving feel or performance, why the heck would you buy a BMW when Lexus does comfort better, Mercedes does prestige better, Audi does interiors and AWD better?

Business history is full of dead brands that abandoned their DNA in pursuit of something else. Hopefully BMW doesn't do the same.
You can still buy a X1 35i. Dealers still have them. They sold terribly. They don't even offer the 35 in Germany where you could actually use the power it provides. The outgoing X1 did not sell well in the US. My complaints about the vehicle are lack of rear seat room, lack of trunk space, and terrible seats. They seem to taken care of those problems. The X1 I have would handle better if lower and there is no real reason for it to be raised as you can't go off road in it.

I have no idea how the new X1 drives and either do you. There are tons of bad reviews of your car. If you choose to ignore they exist than I don't know what I can do for you.

But BMW exists to make money. The current versions can't compete well. Almost every X1 I see on the road is driven by a 70 year old lady. While they may appreciate the good handling I severely doubt it.

Why did I buy a BMW? Well they are fun to drive. Also my family is from Bavaria so the pride of the Bavarian company. I do think they are overpriced. Seems like they have super low leases and people who actually buy them are paying more than they should. If I had to do it over I would have gotten the 3 series wagon. The X11 has turned out to be entirely impractical. It is fine if you never have more than one passenger. But with a baby on board it becomes totally annoying. Not being able to sit in the passenger seat. Not being able to get groceries in the trunk because I have a stroller.

It seems the new vehicle will be more usable vehicle. It will probably sell a lot more. There are other choices for you in the BMW lineup. The new X1 will still have a great engine and transmission. Probably what I like most about my X1
Appreciate 0