View Single Post
      07-17-2015, 11:17 PM   #14
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
And yet you own a BMW model that is being produced this year. I don't think your version did all that well in comparisons in auto magazines. Why did you buy it?
I don't. The X1 35i Msport was discontinued, you can't buy it anymore. I bought it because it was the best driver's car in the segment, and because it was the last BMW made with hydraulic steering and the chassis of the e9x. Period. A look at my build thread should be all you need to answer that question.

The auto magazines loved the handling and power of the car. From car and driver:

Quote:
When traffic broke, we found the 35i motored through the white stuff without drama. Traction in a straight line or around corners was plentiful, despite the X1’s sporty 18-inch Pirelli all-season run-flat tires. Stability control can be completely disabled to allow easy drifts (if that’s your thing), thanks to the xDrive setup’s rearward torque bias, although the system’s brain was quick to shuffle torque to the front axle when needed. Under all conditions, BMW’s once familiar, firm yet compliant ride-and-handling balance impressed. This 35i was agile but rode better than our long-term X1 xDrive28i M Sport tester, thanks to smaller wheels, higher-aspect-ratio tires, and non-sport suspension. A snowy skidpad prevented us from recording a grip figure for the X1, but we recorded 0.82 g in a roughly 100-pound-lighter, non–M Sport xDrive28i with similar tires. The 35i’s firm brake pedal was linear and easy to modulate—a boon on the slick roads we encountered—and the stoppers returned a solid 163-foot halt from 70 mph.

Beyond its irreproachable dynamics, the 35i most delights in its feel. The doors make a wonderful thunk when closed, the body feels as solid as granite, the big six up front has a hearty sound, and lacking iDrive distraction, its drivers are tasked solely with driving. Sure, the similarly sized 3-series wagon offers nearly as much driving satisfaction, but it’s new-school BMW, and you can’t get it here with an inline-six.

Connoisseurs should buy the 128i—the last BMW to offer the naturally aspirated inline-six—if any are left on dealer lots now that it has been replaced by the turbo-four-powered 228i. But if you absolutely need a usable back seat (even if the X1’s is slightly tight) or an additional set of doors, the X1 xDrive35i is the second-most BMW-like BMW you can buy today. Act now, before it, too, is “enhanced” by modernity.
It's very simple, and those who disagree just don't get it. What makes a BMW a BMW? What do phrases like "drives like a BMW" and "typical BMW feel" mean? The entire DNA of the brand is driving feel and performance. Take that away, and there is nothing left that competitors don't do better.

If you don't care about driving feel or performance, why the heck would you buy a BMW when Lexus does comfort better, Mercedes does prestige better, Audi does interiors and AWD better?

Business history is full of dead brands that abandoned their DNA in pursuit of something else. Hopefully BMW doesn't do the same.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 07-17-2015 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0