Thread: Big turbo kits
View Single Post
      01-11-2022, 11:15 AM   #9
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Just thinking through position of the strut towers. The front axle goes through the oil pan on x-drive. I looked up my oil pan on realoem, and the X1 oil pan cross referenes with e90, e91, and e92. So front-to-back, the output shafts are in the same position relative to the engine as the e9x cars. Would this mean the strut towers also have the same front-to-back position relative to the engine as the e9x cars? The shafts have the cv joint, so I guess they could still protrude some forward or aft relative to the e9x, but I'd imagine the engineers would have wanted to keep this orientation pretty consistent for proper operation on the suspension, no?

Any thoughts from anybody on this? From my internet research, I'm not finding anything to suggest differences in strut tower position with X1 compared to e9x. But maybe I'm missing something? I'm barely familiar with what's going on under my own hood, and I've only ever seen internet photos of the e9x engine bays. I'd love to hear some people's thoughts on this.
Appreciate 0