View Single Post
      03-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #20
forteatwo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 S-Drive

Agree with many of the comments regarding Eco-pro. It is primarily for city driving and improves MPG by tempering the throttle response when you accelerate which is where the greatest loss of MPGs occur. But it also helps during freeway driving where you might not notice the softer throttle response and thus be annoyed. It reduces the compressor workload by not heating air before cooling it and it allows some slippage of the cruise if you are climbing a steep hill. The combined effect can be significant and I applaud BMW for making this little hotrod fuel efficient compared to most of the competition.

On a recent ski trip to the UP of Michigan I was forced to drive more slowly (55mph -60 mph) up and back due to icy road conditions and my average MPG for the trip (one full tank of gas) of gas was 36.1 MPG via the gauge and 35.4 based on calculation of fuel used and miles driven, the best MPGs I have ever gotten thus far. So it is nice to have the option of getting good mileage when you drive like a blue-head. I did not use the Eco-pro for what it is worth.

I have found the 91 Octane no-ethanol fuel to give me 2 to 3 MPGs better which makes using non-ethanol as good as using eco-pro.
Appreciate 0