View Single Post
      11-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

I don't have first hand experience with X1, but I switched RFTs (potenza 50s) on my 2008 E90 with sport package to all season go flats. I specifically chose a tire with relatively stiff side walls (and cheap too, Kumho ecsta 4x).

The transformation was dramatic, not only in ride comfort, but also the way the car behaved. With RFTs you could just throw the car in turns, there was no body roll or diving. Also note that pre LCI E90s had stiffer suspension. With all-season go flats you feel the body roll, which is ok and you get used to it, but you also feel the car dives into front wheel when you break into corners. I hate when this happens, the initial turn in is much inferior to RFTs. Once you settle in the turn it is ok and sometimes even better than RFT because you get better traction. The steering is much lighter too but you get used to that as well and is not a major problem.

Bottom line I am still driving the car on go flats because I can imagine how bad the RFTs will be on pothole ridden roads around here (I moved to the Bay Area recently), but the car diving into corners is still a problem, specially for downhill turns it can be unsettling.

My advice is that only consider the switch if you cannot tolerate your current ride, if currently it is just a tad too stiff, with go flats it will be too mushy. Secondly if you decide to go with go flats make sure they can take at least 50 psi and keep tire pressure above 40 at all time. Around 42psi the car starts to feel ok.
Appreciate 0