11-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by andret View Post
I have posted this on other threads, but I will say it again. i think the X1 23d is not engineered to the refinement level expected from BMW. The engine is too noisy and there is too much vibration in the cabin from the engine. I was expecting better from BMW. Other BMW's such as 320d and X5 35d are much more refined.
OK, and I will say it again as well. The X1 is not a X5 but then its pretty much half the price. Compare it with others in its class, eg Land Rover Freelander, Volkswagen Tiguan, Toyota RAV, Volvo XC60, etc etc and it stands head and shoulders above them in my opinion. I have driven them all in my search for a good all round cossover in the £30k range and the X1 fits the bill perfectly. Only one that really compares in the market here is the Q5 and I did not like it for a whole host of reasons. Chief among which was the uncomfortable ride/driver offset angle (The pedals don't line up with the driver seat).

Again its just my opinion but I also cannot even begin to see how one can compare it to a 320d. The 3 is a sedan or an estate that will get stuck way before the XDrive X1. Yes, if you are looking for a highway cruiser exclusively the 320d is a better bet, and yes it is more refined. Venture slightly off track and the X1 shows its mettle with a better clearance (good for snow/farm tracks), 4x4 ability (no 3-series 4x4 in the UK), better suspension travel, better load lugging and better underbody protection. Oh, and I have mentioned it elsewhere as well....the X1 is 15% cheaper, like for like.

Don't mean to offend but you gotta compare apples with apples.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0