View Single Post
      10-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
pinemind
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M-sport 6 sp manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Have you driven cars with both? We owned a 135i with the 6s for four years and drove the X3 35i and F30 335i and F30 328i and X1 28i with the 8s and just preferred the feel of the 6s to the 8s. Unless your goal is to save gas, which is noble, the 6s feels better in my experience. Note too that the F30 got lighter and more efficient than the E90, but slower. Changing gears all the time does not make for a quicker, more enjoyable car.
Agreed. I'm going on Monday while my N54 fuel problem frankenstein car is in for service again for the 3rd week in a row, to test drive an x35i X1. Would it be a benefit to test an F30 335i with the 8 speed? I feel the with the same engine, I could make somewhat of a comparison.

Like I said, I don't get all the poo-poo'ing about the 6 speed automatic. I have the sport package and I just use the paddles if I want to row through the power band. No issues here. I would think maybe a 7-speed would be a nice compromise, but I myself have been wondering about the "number of gears" race and 8 speeds seems like a shift happy dream turned into a nightmare.
Appreciate 0