View Single Post
      05-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #430
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
I've been to rural Texas more than once. The best-selling cars are 2 door F-150s and 4-door Chevy Silverados. Yes, really.
The F-150 gets equipped with oversized tires, gun rack, cow catchers with attached longhorns, and is used for drunk driving.
The Silverado gets equipped with oversized tires, gun rack, cow catchers with attached longhorns, and is used for drunk driving with children in the back.

Having an X1 or 135 is highly recommended, if nothing else so you can be agile enough to swerve and avoid them.

Yes, there are decent people in rural Texas too, without single-syllable middle names nor the sheriff being their double cousin. But the stereotypes are alive and well, alas, as evidenced by the cars.
Texas isn't that bad compared to the south/midwest border. In Texas you have a lot of transplants to the big cities for tech companies that help dilute the redneck population to tolerable levels.

Kentucky has some of the most beautiful scenery and driving roads in the country, but God help you if you get stuck behind a pickup truck here. There is NOBODY from out of state in rural Kentucky.

Try to pass them and they WILL try to ram you off the road. A while back a local motorcycler got it on film when some redneck tried to kill him with his pickup truck and the guy actually got sent to jail.

Then there's the time I was being driven home from the airport in KY by a middle eastern taxi driver. There was a nightmare of a traffic jam (was going to be a couple hour ride) and nobody was letting him in. He got in between a couple of pickup trucks at the merge, and they started flashing us with their brights. After a minute or two of the cab driver ignoring him, the first pickup truck raced around us and got alongside the second one up ahead. They then opened their driver doors to take up more road and formed a rolling roadblock while screaming racial insults at my cab driver. For a solid 10 minutes we were stuck behind them until I called the police because it was starting to get really nasty.

I'm originally from the northeast, fwiw. I kind of stick out here.
Appreciate 0