View Single Post
      09-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
yohans
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

My car is in for tyre replacement as I write this.

Goodyear Efficient Grip
Front - 225/45 R18
Rear - 255/40 R18

The car has done 43,000 kms and the rear tyres are down to within 1-1.5 mm of the minimum wear indicator. The fronts are still at about 3 mm from the wear indicator in all the radial grooves however the inside edge of both are worn down so that there is no discernible tread left. The tyres are worn at an angle on the inner edges (only). I crawled around and under quite a few X models in the service area and every one with large wheels has the same wear pattern on the front wheels. So something to check on as your tyres wear but I'm not sure there is a fix for it. I'll know more about the state of the current alignment once the new ones are fitted and aligned. These tyres cannot be rotated front to rear as they are different sizes. Perhaps side to side keeping the direction of rotation the same, which means not just swopping the wheels over but moving tyres from wheel to wheel.

I've not been made aware of any shortage of these.

The alternative tyre is I believe the Pirelli P7, which is approximately $70 more each. (edit was $35)

My car is not primarily at the dealer for tyres (the subject of another post) but it will interesting to see whether they are available and fitted today.

I have previously looked at having snow/winter tyres shipped from UK, DE, USA but in all cases the total costs were prohibitive.

Last edited by yohans; 09-13-2011 at 06:20 AM..
Appreciate 0