View Single Post
      01-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
Teleskier
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 20mpg, '01 VW TDI 55mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bims View Post
Just to be sure: did you reset the computer when you got on the highway? Also need to do that with average speed.
I'm about to leave work so I'll check when I get out to the car, but I think we have two levels of these numbers. One is a trip computer, which is resettable so I did (breaking up before Europe vs after Europe), and another one that displays my mpg and average speed to date (all miles so far). So I have three numbers:

Europe only: 20.6 (reset)
US only: 20.3 (ongoing)

Total since mile 0: 20.4 (ongoing)

Perhaps both levels are resettable, but I only reset the trip computer one.

I have not visited a city in the US yet, most of my miles are all rural highway: driving back from dealer delivery, driving to VT, driving to ski area, driving back home, etc. If I reset to only the stretch of driving 55mph on the highway, that would inflate the numbers (missing the 0-55 start, etc). I think my numbers are as close to all highway as you can get. And still it's lower than either EPA city/hwy number. Yes it was cold out, but c'mon BMW. My TDI on winter blend kero+diesel did fine in cold, gas should do even better as it is not diluted down to prevent diesel gelling/freezing.

Maybe they sneaked a V6 under the hood on me?

Europe was vacation and thus mostly sport mode fun (Stelvio Pass, passing people on Autobahn, etc). US has been EcoPro mostly - boring. Yet the mileage seems the same for both. Both bad, but seems to suggest that EcoPro just feels slow WITHOUT improving the mileage. Perhaps it's dumping all the gas that's not going to the engine onto the ground, sigh...
Appreciate 0