View Single Post
      10-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #56
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm View Post
And I do agree with you that the M package on the x1 puts the M logo all over the place (I haven't counted how many but maybe even more than on my 1M). And the M DTC in the X1 M package is nothing like the MDM mode in the 1M, I suspect that just like the branding it calling it 'M' has more to do with marketing than anything else. Sure some M engineers may have tweaked the software settings better than stock but I doubt they invested the $ to develop a bespoke DTC system just for that package (and its not like the x1 has a proper mechanical LSD either).

That M badge sells because of the reputation of the M cars, BMW knows it and they are milking it with those 'M packages'.
The first M car was a M535i. A 535i. Then they moved up into what we now know as the "real" M cars. Then you have M-Tech cars, which for the most part are cosmetic changes to the cars (body kits, motorsport cloth, etc)

This is what I believe the current non-M M cars are. M-tech cars. However like jmn said its easier to market the cars that way.

Alpina is the same way, they used to produce pretty neat cars (more performance orientated) but now they've moved onto better things.

At the end of the day; it's your car. Do what you want with it. The forums are a place where you have a vast amount of opinions and no one is correct about them.
Appreciate 0