View Single Post
      03-08-2016, 10:58 PM   #1
Redsoxx1918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Takata airbag recall

So...how does everyone feel about the recall. I checked my VIN with BMW Customer service and my car does, indeed, have the faulty airbag inflators.

BMW says initial letters go out this month informing owners of the recall and a second letter will go out sometime in the future when parts become available to replace the suspect inflators.

Customer rep indicated that it could be some time before parts are available.

To this point, no BMWs have been involved in the deaths linked to these faulty inflators, but that doesn't do much to make me feel better. The latest death was just this past December in Georgia. A man driving a Ford Ranger was killed from metal fragments from the inflators when his airbag went off. Supposedly, older cars in warm, humid climates are more susceptible because, apparently, the humidity is supposed to degrade the ammonium nitrate in the explosive charge, in the igniter. Over time, the humidity gets into the igniter and causes the problem.

He said that, because I'm driving a 2015 model and live in New England, I'm at less risk. But....how the hell does he know and I'm not too comfortable with any amount of risk of having a little fender bender that sets off my airbag and having metal shrapnel shoot into my head and kill me.

How do those of you feel that are living in a hot humid climate like Florida or Texas and driving 2013 models, that are three years old?

There are millions of these airbags being recalled....I think 840,000 BMWs just in this last recall alone. What are your options????

Customer relations said it could be up to two years before all the igniters are replaced. I don't think I'm comfortable driving with this Takata inflator for two years. I can't trade the car in. I checked with a friend of mine that runs a Toyota dealership and he said all X1s are on the "no sell" list now. He said they wouldn't even take one in trade at any price because they would then be unable to sell it.

Customer relations said that a certain number of people from the last BMW airbag recall were given loaner cars to drive while they waited for their airbag replacement. He said many owners have been in rentals since last July and are still waiting!!! I called my local dealership, where I bought the car and they said that might be possible for me. They said all the loaners would not be BMWs though. He said that all the loaners would be from local rental agencies. So what do I do? Turn my car in and have them stick it in some back lot for two years while they wait for parts? I'll be making payments on a car I can't drive and cruising around in some Hyundai Accent from the local enterprise rent a car shop? Just drive it and hope for the best?

What are you guys doing here? Anybody concerned?
Appreciate 0