06-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
What is your source for this info?
I believe I first heard it mentioned by mapezzul of BimmerFile, though I don't believe he knows anything about it for certain nor did he necessarily state it that way either. I want to say that Scott27 has also hinted at it as well, though I may be incorrect there.

Quote:
I've been reading that the first X1 for the US market will have the 3.0L tuned to 260 HP as in the current X3, with possible engine options to follow.
That is certainly a possibility as well, yes.

However, I think it is safe to say that the turbo four will make it to the X1 in pretty short order. We definitely know for certain - well, nearly so - that the next 3 series will get a new turbo four cylinder. BMW NA has confirmed that much themselves. So, if the motor is not seen first on the X1, then there are most likely only two other possibilities: it will debut with the F3x 3 series or it will debut with the F2x 1 series. I don't see it coming any time after those two events simply because we have it on pretty good authority that the motor will be ready for production for summer 2011. I suppose that fact is also what tends to tie it to the X1 - the new 3 series won't be in production until 2012 and the new 1 series not until 2013.

The other question, I suppose, is will the arrival of the turbo 4 cylinder see the naturally aspirated 6 cylinder phased out? My thoughts are that it absolutely will, though the only real evidence I have here is BMW's recent move toward turbo charging for every single engine they have released recently, including M models.
Appreciate 0