06-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #69
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
This whole conversation would seem really dumb to a Native American, btw. Then thinking about that - they walked over from Asia when there was a land-bridge between Alaska and Asia so I guess they're really Asian? Slippery slope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Your buddy sounds like the stereotypical "American-Italian" which is a complete 180 compared to real Italians. I think he'd be shocked if he'd ever set food in Italy; better not crush his dreams!
I really want to bring him along next time we go so he can see just how silly "American-Italians" are compared to real Italians. He's a very funny guy and I rib him relentlessly about it now that I've been there several times.

I gave this some thought and I think it may be related to the fact that they got their Italian-ness from their grandparents who came over as teenagers in the 20s and that lifestyle was passed down, as opposed to the cosmopolitan Italians of today. It's just old school and outdated, but that's become its own subculture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
So when people ask you if you're Irish or Scottish, what do you tell them? The correct answer would be that you were born and raised in America, but that your mother was born in the Netherlands and that your father is of (insert correct countries) descent.
That's a very long explanation for cash register talk. You're more sensitive to it as you are right off the proverbial boat, but the conversation is typically on what your heritage is rather than the soil you were born on, given that nearly everyone I come in contact with is at least second generation.

Here's a funny one: The guy I sit next to at work has a thick Korean accent. I asked him where he is from and he said "Seattle". I laughed and changed the question to where he was born.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0