View Single Post
      07-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #11
DWB1873
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevette View Post
I usually drive moderately easy, and I tried sport mode, which holds the trans in lower gears, longer, and that was uncomfortable when driving easy. My issue sure feels like braking. I haven't tried manual mode, but I'd rather not have to shift, in normal driving. If this is regen-braking, it's far from unnoticeable. In fact, it's a real drag
As you have found out from others it sounds like you are experiencing engine braking. If you've driven a manual it's the same thing.

The idea is it helps to regulate speed in a controlled way using the engine resistance rather than additional tyre resistance - as such, it's useful for slowing in slippery surfaces or for longer descents.

The higher the gear the more pronounced it will be.

BMW auto boxes (or rather the ones they, and other German manufacturers, use) are quite advanced and have featured this for many years in varying forms.

If your X1 is similar to mine, when in Sport the braking effect is more pronounced and applies I believe up to third gear.

It makes stop/start driving harsh but is useful for acceleration or for very relaxed smooth driving using the engine instead of braking all the time when going between corners.

If you find it harsh, leave the car in normal rather than sport. it still applies in 1st but is much reduced/off in the other gears

From memory, this is explained in the manual somewhere and it also includes the gears it applies to in each mode.
Appreciate 0