View Single Post
      10-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #51
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Let's put it this way - I'm an example of where BMW lost business. I own a 2015 R8 V10, nicely loaded - and because BMW didn't have an equivalent option, I put $190k+ into the hands of their competitor, Audi.

The R8 is truly an amazing car - fast, nimble, and probably one of the best handling cars I can say I've ever driven. And the looks - while subjective, I think they're drop dead gorgeous. The car is the perfect blend of classic Italian mid-engine supercar proportions with just the right touch of German muscular angles and lines. The interior? Supple and to the point - it's not all "confused" with little gadgets and nonsense. It feels sleek, high-end, and purpose-built for driving.

The engine is also a wonderful, wonderful thing of beauty. It's not just that BMW needs to build a supercar - but they need to realize what makes a car SUPER. The V10 in my R8 revs to nearly 9k RPM. It's naturally aspirated and produces some of the most enjoyable linear power-delivery you can imagine. While Audi is into their turbo engines just as much as BMW, they were smart enough to leave well enough alone with these engines (at least for the time being!). Yes, you can get more power and more fuel efficiency by turbocharging, but the power delivery is never quite the same. The power in this car is like a nice smooth tidal wave... a perfect linear whine of engine noise behind your head underpinned by a howl from the exhaust... very predictable, very manageable, and like butter. BMW has been all about reducing cylinder count and turbocharging the hell out of their engines... and while that may do the trick for a sports sedan, it doesn't work as well IMHO on a platform like this.

BMW instead chose to invest in the i8 - producing a $140k car that can barely qualify as a sports car. Yes, it has all of the looks of a modern-day supercar, but its price far exceeds its performance - and with tires that melt and batteries that give out after 3 laps on the track, there's nothing "super" about it. It makes for a nice toy - and those seeking a conversation piece chock full of interesting technologies that are still bleeding edge will love it. But guys seeking ACTUAL performance, and not just the looks, won't even consider it as it doesn't play in the same circles as an R8, SLS, Turbo S, etc.

You can say that Audi has a bit of an advantage - their parent company, VW, has far more resources, including ownership of Lamborghini where the V10 engine, exhaust components, and several other parts are directly sourced. There's no mistaking it - when you get in and drive the R8, you can immediately feel the Lamborghini DNA. But Audi has invested a ton of money into the R8, as early as 2003 with the Le Mans Concept, which later became the basis of the R8 design. They were just WAY ahead of BMW in their desire and intention to bring a supercar to market... and apparently still so.

Call me skeptical, but the hybrid electric drive in supercars fad is nothing more than - well, a fad. The LaFerrari's hybrid drive gets only 0.7mpg better economy than the F12's full V12. And at what premium? So, this isn't about fuel economy. And to be honest, I don't think it's about performance either. You can argue that it's about early-stage technologies - maybe. But Audi's eTron and Ferrari's LaFerrari are options in their supercar line-up... not THE option, as opposed to BMW which seems to have put all of its eggs in an early technology basket, while producing mediocre results.

In any case, I do hope BMW comes to its senses and delivers an actual supercar to the market. I would probably have been a buyer if the styling was strong (the i8 was just "ehh") along with its performance as I still prefer BMW as a brand over Audi. I hate to say it, but I think Audi has a massive leg-up on BMW, and the gap may continue to widen, making it harder for BMW to catch up, as they continue to drag their feet to market.

In the time being, I enjoy everything about the R8 on a daily basis - even if I can't get it out for a drive, a peak in the garage is heaven. It's a stunning car that really has the best of supercar power and handling in a car that can almost be driven daily. No less, it's gorgeous looks have become iconic. It's hard to take the car anywhere without little kids and adults alike taking pleasure in seeing it, usually with references to Iron Man from the younger crowd. All I can say is BMW has a LOT of ground to cover in catching up to this thing, while Audi's biggest concern should be not screwing it up with their next design.
Appreciate 0