View Single Post
      03-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #66
xyz100
Private
Rep
Drives: Challenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post
So what can I do to figure this out? Is it me or is it my car?

Do I bring the car back to the dealer for a checkup? Worth doing?

What should I ask them to check for?
  • Could my spark plugs be improperly gapped or fouled from the factory?
  • Could my car be running WAY more lean than it should be?
  • Could this be the way M sport models are programmed - to run more rich than non M sport?

Scanning the previous posts, a lot of folks don't mention if they are sDrive or xDrive, for those that did it seems people are seeing:
  • sDrive folks are seeing 30-something hwy, I don't see any Xdrive models reporting that. Tirpitz sDrive is 24 avg, saw 33 one trip
  • 2.8 Xdrives: 3val is seeing 23.5, HotRod 25, RoCGuy 28, jph1 started 23 but grew to 29 @ 4k miles, SpinyN 16 avg, 17, one 28 trip. LeatherP 24.5.

Other thoughts from the posts :
  • In many (nay - most) of the better mpg reports, people are NOT using eco-mode
  • I have yet to try a long highway trip without eco-mode, since you can feel the car moving so sluggishly, that I assume the lack of moving out of its own way MUST be saving me some gas. All eco, except I pop the gearshift into Sport in the 30-seconds where I need to pass a particularly annoying SUV - maybe 5 times each way on a 4-hr VT ski trip - 2.5 minutes of Sport on a 4-hr eco-hwy trip.
  • Perhaps I should have bought the 3.8 instead. When I chipped my TDI, I got more power AND my mpg went up. Watching myself with a critical eye, I do push the pedal until the car responds with at least SOMETHING. Doesn't everyone? I wonder if this "car finally moves at all" point happens sooner in a 3.8 xDrive or on 2.8 when NOT in eco-mode.

For example, here is a frequent eco-mode scenario for me. A gap has opened between me and the car ahead. In Boston, this means I will quickly have 5-then-10-then-15 cars cut in to fill in this suddenly appearing void. This never happens in my 50mpg TDI. But Fine. I take a deep breath. I remind myself that I am in eco-mode, like a Prius, and gaps will happen. I will SLOWLY try to close the gap, in anemic eco-mode fashion. When in eco-mode, I am trying to be a miser with the gas pedal, watching the mpg needle and how the car reacts. Here's the typical play by play:
  1. I push the gas pedal 3 inches, mpg needle goes from 28=>25, results in no movement in car yet, 5 cars cut into the gap.
  2. So I push another 2 inches, mpg needle goes from 25=>20, results in no movement in car yet, 10 cars cut into the gap.
  3. So I push another 2 inches, mpg needle goes from 20=>15, results in no movement in car yet, 15 cars cut into the gap.
  4. So I push another 2 inches, mpg needle goes from 15=>pegs below 12, FINALLY results in SOME slow movement, I start to slowly inch creep forward.

Is this your X1 experience? In order to get the car to move AT ALL, the needle ALWAYS drops to be pegged below the 12mpg scale cutoff. I see this 100% of the time I watch the needle (which is most of the time). Any car movement at all = pegged below 12mpg. Not a JUMP ahead mind you - a simple anemic CREEP ahead. Equals pegged below 12mpg.

It bothered me that BMW chose the wrong scale for the needle. Why start at 50mpg and end at 12mpg, when all I ever see is 28mpg max and 6mpg min. The scale seemed off for the real-life values seen.

Or maybe the scale is right after all, and there is something wrong with my car?

Any ideas? Is this what you see and experience in *YOUR* X1?
When I am cruising (60-70 mi/h)the needle stays between 40-50mpg. When I accelerate on highway (not flooring it but feeling sufficient pull) the needle goes to 20.

I think you do have an issue with the car. I would take it to the dealer and compare yours with the one on the lot just like yours power-train wise. Compare the MPG needle readings while cruising on highway.

I wonder that the injector(s) might be slightly leaking causing poor gas mileage.
Appreciate 0