04-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #17
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by miataken View Post
This is exactly the reason I wanted to get mud flaps but held off. The dirt collected on top of the rear bumper during winter time is at least 10x worse than rest of the car. I am not sure if it's from not having rear mud flaps or from using the rear wiper which pushing all the window dirt down. I hope someone can confirm on this matter if possible.
I have installed them as soon as possible. I am very happy with these mudflaps.
The back is not more soiled than without, this is a lie. Can still be soiled? What do you expect? Do they hang to the ground level? No. So?
Also, depends on your tires and theri profile, especialy in the winter.
Nonetheless, the front wheels are throwing water and dirt in the back too. That's what cars do when you drive in the rain. It is not only the rear tires. It is called aerodinamics. And it is a hatchback, it is a different design, it is more exposed, that's why you have a wiper with washer in the back. Some people buy their first hatchback and start talking non-sense due to their lack fo knowledge.
The person that says that with them it is the same like without them, lacks the technical common sense.

I have them and I can see how my 2012 X1 that manage two winters, looks in comparaison with a 2013 X1 without mud flaps. Mine has no rock chips on the silver paint, doors, nor in the black plastic that is around the wheel. The car loks like in the first day.
During the winter, I stop in front of the garage and with the brush I am pulling down all the snow that accumulates on them. I have seen the X1 without them and they have snow everywhere. True, even with them, you still get accumulated snow on the base of the vehicle but is no different than any other car. Plus, X1 has a different ground level, don't forget.
Also, they protect the bodyside of the vehicle, the wheel doesn't splash everywhere, including the mirrors.
What some people don't get is that they protect from snow, water, rocks, black asphalt spots from the hot road.
When you drive in the rain, have a look at the vehicle beside you and see the amount of water that wheels throw on the vehicle's body. Than think about the water, snow and the salt-water-snow combination that is thrown to your car. You will be convinced then.
Nobody seen how cars without mud flaps rusted on the front door?

If you live in an area that gets snow, salt and rocks on the road, then better install them if you love your car. They worth every penny.

PS
You don't need silicon. They are moulded around the vehicle and they look perfect.

Last edited by Teutonic; 04-25-2013 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0