View Single Post
      06-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
chx437
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3(G01)

Hi,
I have also played with the LED angel eyes a bit: my X1 has the BMW Xenon lights with the corona rings illuminated originally with the well known yellowish halogen 35W H8 bulbs.

First I changed the halogen bulbs to LED H8 units from HIDS-Direct: BMW XTEC led angel eyes marker kit

Although the white color of XTEC leds was excellent when used with Xenon's but unfortunately they were too dim to be used as DRLs. One XTEC LED H8 unit has four individual leds and it takes totally about 3.3 W electrical power (after the controller). The brightness of the XTEC H8 LED units is the same regardless of the "light" mode of the car (in DRL mode the BMW in-built "DRL controller" supplies almost the full voltage (13 V) to the DRL bulb but in parking-light mode or in the head-light-on mode only 7 to 9 volts are supplied to the DRL bulbs - the supply voltage is also adjusted according to the current taken by the bulb).

After tried the XTEC leds I ordered new LUX H8 LED bulbs, see: LUX H8 products. LUX H8 are claimed to be among the brightest (if not the brightest) available now in H8 format but also they are more than twice as expensive as the XTEC leds.

Both the above H8 LED units are relatively easy to install: one just opens the cover of the inner head light (from engine room) and replaces the original H8 bulb and places the LED controller into empty space inside the inner head light.

According to my experience the LUX H8 leds are far more brighter than my previous XTEC H8 leds. With LUX H8 both the corona rings, the inner and also the outer ring, are clearly visible also in bright day light. However they seem not to be as bright as the new in-built led corona rings in the new BMW X3 or BMW 5 models (...in these new BMW models the led units have totally new design and cannot be used or upgraded to our today's X1s).

One LUX H8 LED unit consists of 4 leds installed into a firm aluminum body (in H8 format). The input electrical power (including the controller) of one LUX H8 unit is roughly 8.5 W. Also with LUX H8 the controller provides stable power to the leds so that the brightness is the same regardless of the "light mode" of the car.

In addition to the above H8 LED experiments I also have installed extra DRL led units underneath the front bumper. The units are from Philips: Philips LED Daylight 8. These units are officially E-accepted in Europe and they have been stamped as "00RL 02A", so in addition to the DRL mode they have a dim mode which is used when the normal head lights are on. One Philips LED units takes roughly 4 watts electrical power in the normal DRL mode and 0.1 watt in the dim mode. When looking the car from front and both the corona rings (with LUX H8) and the extra Philips DRLs are on, one must say that the Philips units seem to be brighter.

I have attached three pictures about my BMW X1 with led angel eyes / DRLs:
- with LUX H8 corona rings on
- with LUX H8 corona rings and Philips DRLs on
- with LUX H8 corona rings and Xenon head light on and with Phillips DRLs dimmed
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
toejam0.00