View Single Post
      09-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Peckhammer:

It seems like a lot of people drive out of state to buy their cars for various reasons -- can't find the right model, options, better deals, tax reasons, etc. I suggest calling a few dealers maybe in the Portland area. Otherwise, you might have to check around Cali to check on options/pricing and find a flight deal to get one.

The sDrives are very popular down here in Mexico. Compared to our previous VW Passat, the X1's electric steering produces lots of feedback without the need of servotronic for very slow maneuvers (e.g., parking, u-turns.) At high speeds, it is still very stable with no tendency to wander around on the lane/road. The Passat also had a 4-cylinder turbo engine, but the X1 has a much less noticeable turbo lag. If you have a 6-cylinder non-turbo engine you might notice a slight difference the instant you push it hard. It is a lot more noticeable in eco-drive mode (part of its goal anyway) and virtually no turbo lag if you move the shift selector to Sport mode. BTW, the 8-speed ZF transmission is indeed a dream as others report. For another comparison, we test drove an Audi Q3 and that one did have a really light, numb steering and about same turbo lag as our Passat.

We have no sport package, but we have 18" wheels. The suspension feels firm, but go with sport suspension package if you still want a tad firmer suspension. We encounter a lot of potholes here and we tend to be extra careful. We've still hit a few potholes and man do we feel them! I believe this is mainly due to the combination of 18" wheels and RFT tires (the Pirelli P7 that came with the car are grippy around tight curves.) I am glad we didn't choose the stiffer suspension for the bad streets we encounter in certain Mexican towns/cities (highways and toll roads are generally in great shape.)

I guess coming from a Lexus, one should be really pleased with the sDrive X1, but there is obviously no substitute for an actual test drive. Personal preferences can greatly differ.
Appreciate 0