View Single Post
      10-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #269
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Unit View Post
Hats off to PrematureApex... this was a very informative thread. I even enjoyed the banter back and forth in the beginning which was packed full of insight IMO.

Anyways, I thought I was set on KW1s, but they don't offer them for the x1 RWD. What option would you guys choose for a daily s28i?

1) BC Coilovers (7k front 11k rear) equals (400lbs front, 625lbs rear)

2) BC Coilovers with custom spring rates? 5K front 6K rear? Suggestions?

3) Bilstein B6 with H&Rs?

4) Bilstein B6 with Eibachs (B12 kit)?

Even though the B12 kit is the cheapest, I almost want to rule it out since I believe the H&Rs are a tad bit lower. I think the standard BC coilovers might be sufficient, but would it be worth it to experiment with a softer spring rate?
What do you want out of your suspension? Tough call on the spring rates for the BCs. I don't have personal experience with those dampeners...which is critical. With a great dampener, you can run a lot more spring rate without a big sacrifice in ride quality. Not sure what you're looking for in a suspension/what your roads are like/etc.

You could always go softer on the springs and rely on bigger swaybars to up your roll stiffness if you're not quite satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevinBR View Post
Does anyone have any experience with replacing stock struts with Bilstein B6's and keeping the stock springs?

Does anyone see any potential issues with that? I am interested in having a sportier, stiffer feel while maintaining my (stock) ride height.
Not on the X1, but I will say, I love B6s with stock springs (ran that on my M3 and 135i for tens of thousands of miles). The firmer dampening and added effective spring rate of high pressure monotubes is often enough (perhaps with a set of swaybars) to create a very nice DD setup. Sharper handling, while retaining the ability to handle the roughest of roads...better than stock.

The H&R springs are not a dramatic departure from stock when speaking in terms of spring rates. So you'll still see a nice bump in handling from the B6s only.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)

Last edited by PrematureApex; 10-05-2016 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 1
D Unit92.50