View Single Post
      03-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #229
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just a heads up - those of us with 35i's are in luck. The Alpina B3 transmission flash is confirmed working on our X1 35i.

In short, the Alpina B3 uses the same transmission as the X1 but it's mated to a modified n54 engine that puts out 400+ horsepower and 400+ lbft torque. The transmission software on it does a couple things differently:

In drive mode, it actually gets you better mpg as it is less aggressive since it's calibrated for more torque (which those of us who have JB4's do have). RPM's drop a bit while cruising, which is great.

In sport mode, the car is totally different. It literally feels like a dual clutch transmission, with shifts happening at least twice as fast and firmer.

Manual shifts are just like sport mode - you pull the shifter and they just happen instantly.

Boost is maintained significantly better throughout the shift and this should genuinely make the car faster in a straight line as a result.

Can't post the link here, but google "Alpina B3 Flash."

The only thing I will add is that before you do it, check what your stock EGS number is using INPA. Write down this number before flashing and it will allow you to flash back to stock if necessary. If you do happen to try to flash back to stock and can't find the stock EGS in winkfp, check under GKE215 - the same one as the Alpina zb number is in. Mine was the last entry in the bottom.

This is somewhat complicated (not really, but...) to explain to a beginner who is not familiar with coding, but with a couple days of googling and reading you should be able to set up INPA. Setting up INPA for getting your stock EGS number is actually much harder than the actual flash. If you are computer literate you will be fine.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 03-12-2013 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0