View Single Post
      05-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Pretty normal wear for a 3,600+ pound car on decently sporty tires. Runflats used to weigh a lot more than regular tires and had a much rougher ride, but with the latest generation, it's pretty minimal, to the point that for my wife, I've left this car alone, while I changed her previous 135i over to regular tires and it greatly improved ride quality and slightly helped mileage.

You'll save a little money by not running RFT's, but of course you'll be SOL if you get a flat. I had a plug kit and an air compressor in our previous car (and my M Coupe, which also had non RFT's and no spare), just in case. If you're comfortable using a plug kit, this is a fair solution to minor issues, but didn't help the one time I had a sidewall tear.

If you don't mind sacrificing a little handling accuracy and sportiness, you could get a tire with a little more longevity, but I'd be surprised if you could find something that goes much beyond 35k miles. Check Tire Rack for what fits, what's RFT and what's not and what tread life warranties are like. I know Michelin Pilot Super Sports have a 25k mile warranty if you rotate them (which is fine if you don't have the staggered wheels), but it drops to 12.5k miles if you have staggered tires.
Appreciate 0