View Single Post
      04-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #59
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Just looking through the thread now (and thinking ahead), but I would've suggested Kuhmo 4X to be added to your consideration as well. While by no means a direct compare, I put these on my MCS and have been very happy with them from the standpoint of grip/traction, wear, and price point. Ultimately, I was looking for a non-RFT, A/S tire that had some sportiness to them (cheaper than full up summer tires). I had it down to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Kuhmo Ecsta 4X, and Conti DW or DWS. The 4X did very well in Tire Rack's own testing and were pretty good for wet and dry traction (sans snow). I ignored the snow reviews since I planned to run dedicated snow tires. The tread pattern looked favorable and the price was better than the Michelin tires (I'm a Michelin fan boy, too, btw). It seems, from reviews, that the Conti's had more sidewall flex so I rolled the dice with the Kuhmos and have been happy ever since. $614 for a set of 4 (staggered). They are lower on the consumer survey results at Tire Rack, but I've been very happy with them (including in heavy, cold rain on a small, light, weight imbalanced, FWD car). They've been very predictable tires, too.

General G-Max were something I also considered...relatively same price but a bit higher up on Tire Rack's survey results. I had great results with General AT2's on my old ZJ and wouldn't have a problem trying General again.

I would note that what I was after was a fairly priced, non-RFT, sporty A/S tire. I wasn't looking at summer tires due to price and not wanting to worry about running them in cold temps. The MCS is not my DD during the spring, summer, and fall months...it is mostly driven early spring, late fall, and all winter so I splurge on snow tires for it.

A lot of people like the Conti's, though, so enjoy. That many people can't be wrong.