United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM6 View Post
To the OP-
What is your experience ?
Black leather for top-down in 90+ degrees is an absolute no-go.
The red leather is better but I still sweat at 85+degrees in the small of my back and butt.

Is there any way to solve this ?
Turn on the A/C with the top down and direct the vents to the appropriate areas. Don't get black leather. The faster you drive the better air movement you get. Those are the only answers I have. In this vehicle you are at the mercy of the elements and the environment. Some days are better than others. 85+ degrees top-down you will sweat. Direct sun in 90+ temps is brutal no matter what you do.

I have owned 4 convertibles since 1994 and would never consider getting one with a black interior. I had a 1994 325i, a 2001 CLK 430 and a 2004 CLK500 which all had a very light grey color leather interior and my 2022 Z4 has the ivory leather seats.

IMHO, the lighter the color of the leather the more comfortable you will be.

You should always use a windshield sun shade when parked. I have the BMW shade but there are many sold in the market by other companies that will fit in the G29 and provide you protection from the extremely strong rays of the sun. 😎

You should definitely tint your side and rear windows with a good quality ceramic product. Window tints do work and will alleviate some of the heat.

When you combine using a sun shade with the tinted windows you hopefully won't burn your butt and back when you enter the car on a hot sunny day.

I owned the first three cars while living in NYC where I spent the summers out in the Hamptons and had the top down while out there 80-90% of the time. Your suggestion about using the AC is excellent as I always had the AC turned on with the top down when warranted and it definitely made a difference.

By the way, a key factor which hasn't been mentioned in determining whether or not to leave the top up on those extremely hot days was the humidity level.
During the "DOG DAYS" of summer where you are dripping wet the minute you walk outdoors I would leave the top up and enjoy the comforts provided by my AC.
Appreciate 1
Rcasa20210.50