View Single Post
      03-20-2024, 08:11 AM   #8134
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
I've got a bat in the room in case anyone wants a late night game of baseball, but if they're armed, its a little useless.

But realistically, there is absolutely no way my wife will permit a safe in the room that I know the combo to because I sleep walk and she worries about that. Right now the safe is in the basement and I don't know the combo - she has to open it every time I want to go to the range. And I'm not going to lock us in the room because both my sons are in different rooms and I can't imagine I'd have the time to gather them up and get back in time given the element of surprise they have on their side.

We have a bungalow, so I don't have a lot of options here. I'd agree - in your scenario you have less area to cover, on a different level of the house, ability to store nearby, and no other family members. That works for you, not for me - different scenario. I would *like* to have the shotgun in the bedroom though. I can't likely justify the pistol with the safe storage laws, but the shotgun would work.

That said, if society devolves further, I suspect she'll get over the sleep walking risk for the very real risk that we need it one night and don't have it...and then I'll be able to throw one of the firearms in the bedroom.
If you don't own a handgun now you won't be able to buy one (legally) unless a new government reverses that ban. We have a biometric safe in the bedroom where we keep my wife's 686. The rest of the guns are in a stand up floor safe in the basement. With some creativity and practice the safe storage laws wouldn't slow you down very much. And at the end of the day would you rather take a charge of unsafe storage than not having the option to defend yourself?
Appreciate 1
Buug95918234.00