View Single Post
      10-14-2023, 10:36 AM   #5
Allworth
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d (E84)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Thanks for posting this. I have a 2015 X1 35i, and I replaced the transmission fluid last year at 61.5k miles, and had my rear diff fluid replaced 2 years ago at 57k miles, but the diff was only because they were in there replacing a couple leaky seals. I knew transmission fluid should be kept on top of, but I didn't realize transfer case and diffs fluids went bad at such a rate, but these pictures (which I can see, but the way) leave an impression. After seeing this, I'll be sure to get my transfer case and front diff fluids replaced this spring at my next oil change. Obviously my fluids have roughly half the life and miles as those on your pics, but I plan on keeping this car indefinitely, and substantially increasing its power level, so I want to keep them nice and fresh!

Then around 100k, I'll probably replace all of them again (transmission, transfer case, and both diffs), and then maybe stick to around a 50k interval going forward.
Some people reported that front differential fluid is usually less contaminated, but is quite simple job when you have car lifted up, comparing to transfer case that needs removing bracket which can be a bit tricky, but changing oil is much easier than replacing transfer case itself when it starts to malfunction.
Manual Gearbox oil replacement is easier and perhaps cheaper then engine oil replacement, thought a lot of people avoid it, also after engine oil replacement feeling that engine is working better is often placebo, whereas gearbox oil replacement benefits I can feel clear.

Is your car xdrive? (as transfer case only exists on xdrive)