Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
1997 Boxster  [0.00]
2006 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Wes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_G20 View Post
I had mine done recently. Best advice I can lend is. Open the oil filler cap. With a flatbread screwdriver attempt to move chain from either side. Try to lift up the chain from beneath it. There should be little to no play.

Before having my chain done last month I had ALOT of slop and car drove fine. I now have no movement in my chain and car still performs the same but I can drive it without worrying about it exploding. Although there's always another point of possible failure
I am curious, what did your mechanic or the dealership charge to replace the timing chain? Did you replace the guides in addition to the chain during the service?

Thanks!
I am in Canada. Toronto area. I bought the car used at what I feel is a low price knowing it needed a timing chain to be done. The car was running and driving and I hadn't experienced a timing chain failure. I bought it and parked it until the job was done.

I had the timing chain and tensioner. Timing chain rail/guides. Oil pump chain, guides and tensioner. Also did the spark plugs. Had a walnut blasting/carbon cleaning on the intake valves.

All said and done I paid $2150 Canadian including a a front strut mount that was worn.

This price was parts and labour