View Single Post
      02-08-2021, 10:43 PM   #6
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

I wanted to post an update for everyone. Recently, i discovered that the X1 has an auto brake drying feature, which brings the rotors closer to the pads when the wipers are continuously on to remove water from the calipers.

It was sleeting the other day on the way home, and I noticed my brakes didn't seem to have this weird phenomenon.

It hit me. The wipers. The last couple of times it's snowed, I've found myself turning the wipers on and off (I find the auto is too fast for my liking, I wish it was 1/2 the speed it is on the lowest setting). But it was sleeting enough the other day that I didn't have to turn them off.

I did some searching and it turns out the X1 has brake drying. I tried it yesterday in the storm, I didn't use the wipers for 4/5 miles except for a quick click and the brakes too a second to grab.

So here's a public service announcement, don't ever not use your wipers, or turn off the automatic wipers because they streak or make noise, it deactivates, or really never activates the brake drying "feature".

I say feature, because I very much think this feature is in response to a poor design. I've never had a disk brake car in my life that had this problem, and I've had plenty of cars without delay wipers.
Appreciate 0