View Single Post
      02-03-2021, 06:49 AM   #5
rajesh5024
Rajesh
India
Rep
Drives: X1 sdrive 20d

I ]did a DIY coolant flush on my BMW X1. I unfortunately didn't take any pictures of the DIY. But it was satisfying. I didnt open any hose or the engine block drain. I just opened the radiator valve and drained all the existing coolant. Then filled it with Distilled water about 6 litres and went through the bleed procedure (heater full inside the cabin), bleeding out the air from the radiator etc. And then keep running the engine for about 30 minutes. Then when I didnt see any air bubbles, shut down the car and then let the system cool for 2 hours and then drained all the distilled water. The capacity is about 7.2 litres but it bled only 5.5 litres I think.

And the distilled water that came out was a bit dirty. So I did the same procedure with another 6 litres or so of distilled water and repeated the procedure and that came out a bit clean. It had just a hint of blue colour but mostly clear water that came out.

That told me that the entire system is now flused with maybe about 2 litres of distilled water stuck in the block or some hoses. Now, I just calculated how much of the blue BMW coolant is needed with is about 3.6litres and I put that into the coolant tank and I went through the bleed procedure. And now no air in the system, and coolant is now clean!!! For the next few trips I will be keeping an eye on the coolant temperature.

The only thing that puzzles me is that the radiator fan does not seem to switch on at all. I thought when the temperature reaches about 90Celcius it should switch on. But no. In any case, the operating temp of the BMW engine is about 92-110 or something like that. So I'll be keeping an eye for that.

Expert DIYs please comment if I have made any mistake
Appreciate 0