View Single Post
      09-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #3
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i xDrive 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuamX1 View Post
Why does this happen to the interior door handles? is there a cure for this? aside from stop holding it?
haha yes the solution is, replace it with new ones and don't touch it ever again. But in seriousness, I would assume a regular interval of interior spray cleaning would help prevent/prolong this. How often did you clean your interior / specifically clean your door handles if ever?

I'm guessing it happens because the oils/sweat/grime/PH levels/acidity from our hands build up on the door handles and some brilliant engineer at BMW chose a cost effective material that wasn't resilient to being touched over and over again. Also it's common for steering wheels to deteriorate/peel especially when they aren't cleaned with some regularity.

On your picture it looks like part of the top layer has completely melted away and exposes a smooth layer. Is that underneath smooth layer not sticky if cleaned? I wish I was handy enough to know how to remove the whole top layer of goo and if the underneath layer is just a smooth and solid piece of plastic. I'm guessing it won't be as soft as a brand new door handle, but it won't be sticky.
Appreciate 0