View Single Post
      08-25-2020, 11:07 PM   #2
6pan
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 (e84)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilinMN View Post
I set out about a year ago to it find the most amusing automatic equipped car I could for the money that met a certain level of practicality; eventually sending up with an X1 35i. If there is one aspect to the car that falls short of the rest, it’s probably the ZF6 transmissionn. It’s not bad, and I liked it in M mode well enough but I would say there are three main drawbacks to the stock transmission tuning:
- as far as I can tell, it defaults to 2nd gear starts
- my shift speed and harshness were inconsistent
- shifts could be quicker

I finally broke down and shelled out the $75 for a MHD WiFi connector and $260 for a flash license and map pack through XHP. I installed their stage 3 tune and I must say it’s a definitive improvement. It addresses all of my qualms above; shifts are quicker and not any harsher and even smoother in some gears so more consistent; manual mode is improved, and it’s nice that it drops to first at a complete stop. All in all, I’d say it’s a worthy upgrade for just an improved driving experience closer to a more modern transmission. It’s still not perfect but it’s very good improvement for the money.
from the x1s I've drove the ones with the zf 8hp
are far superior with comfort and smoothness also picks up a lot under hard Acceleration
Appreciate 0