05-04-2020, 07:35 PM   #16
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i xDrive 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX1-35i View Post
Does anyone know if this is true?
I'm 99% sure all E9X N55 downpipes will fit.

Catted DP (stock mid & stock exhaust w/ exhaust valve closed)
I'm not even sure I'd call it drone, but there is a slight increase in sound at highway cruising speeds. For me it was noticeable for the first couple of drives, but I'm used to it now and there is no significant drone to negatively affect my morning commute. In city driving the X1 will still sound very tame with a catted DP and the exhaust valve closed.

With the exhaust valve open at maintained cruising speeds there isn't any added drone (compared to exhaust valve closed). There is a noticeable drone when accelerating on the highway with the exhaust valve open. I wouldn't say this drone is bad, but if I wanted to have a conversation with a passenger I would want to close the exhaust valve. In city driving there will be added drone and noise when starting from a stop, but not anything head turning.

Overall I am happy with how my car sounds (Wagner catted DP / Wagner EVO 1 IC / MHD 2+). With the valves closed, car is still low-key. If I'm feeling more ricer I can roll down my windows and open the exhaust valve.

Unfortunately I'm still throwing a CEL so that will be fun come smog time.
Appreciate 0