Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm G View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOrtiz View Post
aOf course I'll need to add another quart (6) . . . .
You're talking about quarts and you show a picture of liter bottles. There is a difference. BMW also thinks there's a difference between specifying 5 liters for one model and 5.5 L for another. I have no idea why the difference but I have a feeling BMW gave it plenty of thought.

This works for me, but maybe something different works for others:

1. There are published oil capacity specs. BMW thinks they should be followed, so I tend to use them until I have a good reason not to.
2. The AWD E84 xDrive 28i (metal drain plug) spec is 5.5 liters, which is 5.81 quarts.
3. The RWD E84 sDrive 28i (plastic drain plug) spec is 5 liters, which is 5.28 quarts.
4. The oil I use has the LL-01 spec on the bottle and comes in quart and 5 quart bottles. I use 5 1/4 qts. when I change the oil on my sDrive. The oil cost is the least reason I dont round up to 6 quarts.
Thank you for this detailed post.

I was curious which drain plug I have, and this clarified it (only because on some oil kits it show the plastic one while in others it was omitted).

So you put 5¼ in your sDrive? I wonder if putting an even 6qt on my xDrive i28 may damage it.

For what it's worth, my oil was changed by BMW (at least I hope) in February 2018. The car had 27k miles (based on a Davis report) and it's coming up on 31k. Says I have 4,500 until next oil change or February 2019. This is where I must decide if I want to change my oil every 5k (I do one and pay the BMW dealer to do one). I will take it to BMW in between my oil changes to satisfy the required maintenance stated in my extended warranty contract.

Anyone every try this product? What about wright? It appears "European Formula" (second image) is 0/40.

I live is SW Florida so it's never really cold.
Attached Images