View Single Post
      08-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #43
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw_fw View Post
Following this thread and others as well, as I'm in the same boat with my X1. Doing some research on Tire Rack and some German websites they don't even show Bilstein HDs, only Bilstein B6 (Tire Rack) or Bilstein B6 Sport (German websites). Both have the same Bilstein part number, so I'm assuming they are the same. For applications the German websites show that they are recommended for stock to 50mm (2 inch) drops, so they should work with the H&Rs. The German websites do call the B6 Sport as being the sporting application, being stiffer than stock. They also show a B4 shock available for the X1, meant for a more stock applications. Interesting thing is that they also show the B6 Sport being regular stock, showing shipping immediately, which differs from what you have found...

Either way, thanks for being the guinea pig on this combo on here, because if it works I'll be following the same path....
http://www.bilstein.com/uploads/tx_t...6_b8_en_35.pdf

Bilstein B6's are in almost all circumstances commonly referred to as "HDs" (besides some rare "C" designations). The B8s are traditionally the "Sports" with the shortened shafts (same body length) to prevent losing the preload on the springs with the suspension in full-droop (a major safety/legal concern).

Once you get over 1.5" of drop or so, you're generally going to be needing the B8s/Sports, which as far as I know, they don't make for the X1 (have you seen them?).

The B6s and the B8s are widely quoted by Bilstein as valved identically. Again, just the shorter shaft to prevent loose springs in droop.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)

Last edited by PrematureApex; 08-12-2015 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0