07-15-2015, 01:04 AM   #26
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvius View Post
But any amount of acceleration will drag it down considerably. Taking off from a stop takes a big hit. Going up hills is pretty bad, too. So if your commute is hilly or has a lot of traffic stops, you're probably never going to see great numbers. But if you're driving along a highway in Oklahoma, you should get some impressive economy.

I mean, seriously, the car is nearly 3800 lbs. No amount of voodoo or magical gearing is going to make it accelerate efficiently.
For hilly terrain, the N55 35i is likely as good as the N20 28i, especially with a loaded car. It has to struggle less going uphill, and going downhill both of them are going to use a minimum of fuel.
The 28i is going to be more economical for city driving and flat cruising.
For long distance driving, I'd recommend a diesel, but BMW NA doesn't want to sell us diesels.

Up in the hills in Northern CT (they call them "mountains" here, but I have lived in BC), I get around 24 mpg average in a 35i during summer; mostly side roads, no flat roads, and rarely any highway driving. I don't think that is bad at all. It is a sporty BMW, so it would be unreasonable to expect Honda mpgs.
Appreciate 0